Jun 7 @ 9:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Date: Thursday 7 June 2018
Time: 9:30am – 3:30pm
Venue: The Business Village @BarnsleyBIC, Innovation Way, Barnsley, S75 1JL
This one-day Masterclass provides an essential introduction to public sector tendering for small and medium -sized enterprises (SMEs) and an opportunity to evaluate if tendering is right for their business.
This masterclass is complimentary to the ‘Public Sector Tendering – What You Need to Know‘ and ‘Public Sector Tendering: Writing a Winning Bid – How to Respond and Submit a Tender‘ Masterclasses which we are running.
This Masterclass will cover:
The workshop will commence with an opening session focusing on Preparing your Business to Tender (Session 1) and How and Where to Find Tender Opportunities (Session 2) and will continue with an In-Depth Review of the Commercial Considerations (Session 3) a business should take into account when considering if tendering is right for their business.
Session1: Preparing Your Business to Tender:
- Explanation / contextualisation of public sector tendering, the opportunities and challenges
- Tendering thresholds, different types of tendering (e.g. framework, restrictive, open etc) and procurement rules
- How to be tender ready, consideration of supplier requirements and the policies, accreditations, finance information, insurances, case studies needed to apply and organisational management of the tendering process
- Attendees will undertake an organisational Tender Ready Review to identify the information they need to be tender ready and develop their own action plan for implementation. They will also take away a free Tender Ready Guide containing examples of policies and procedure templates which they will be able to adapt for their own organisation.
Session 2: How and Where to Find Tender Opportunities:
- Live demonstrations of the main tender portals (Contracts Finder, Due North/Proaxis, Intend) and other ways to find tenders (social media, newsletters, web searches), commercial tender search services, paid for tender portal e.g. Achilles, Local Authority contract registers and upcoming bid opportunities, Crown Commercial portal
- Candidates who haven’t already registered will be supported to register and set up saved daily searches
- Explanation of how to find opportunities, register interest and download tender documents.
- Clarification of the different types of tender documents, Standard Questionnaire (SQ), on-line questionnaires, ITT’s, Form of Tender, Collusive Tendering Form.
Session 3: Is Public Sector Tendering Right for Your Business: A Commercial Opportunity?
- Devising and implementing tender driven growth strategies.
- Identifying barriers to success
- How to reflect your organisational voice, values, and ethos.
- Exploring whether to bid and using SWOT to help make an effective decision
- Implications on resources and management considerations
- Pricing strategies and discounting
- Social Value Act and its implications
- Cash flow/working capital requirements and investment requirements.
- Allocating the right skills sets and resources to different elements of the contract
Workshop Tender Surgery: After the presentation element of the workshop is complete all attendees will be offered a minimum 15-minute surgery with Rachel or Julia to discuss and formulate either a Tender Development Plan for their organisation to support them to put into practice the information they have learnt or the opportunity to discuss a current tender they are working on.